Turkey Mince Shepherds Pie with Sweet potato, Carrot and Feta mash | RECIPES
Sharing my favourite recipe with you today…
The turkey shepherds pie with sweet potato, carrot and feta mash!
This is a great dish if you’re having people over or just for a hearty meal for… yourself. I usually make a big dish of it and then put 4/5 portions in the freezer for when i can’t be bothered to cook!
This recipe serves 4 people as a main dish or 5/6 people if you accompany it with vegetables.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
2 garlic cloves
1 red onion
2tbsp olive oil / coconut oil
2/3 handfuls of chopped mixed veg (peppers, mushrooms, courgette, carrots – anything you want)
650g Turkey mince
1 can lentils (i used green)
2 cans chopped tomatoes
1 big squeeze of tomato puree
Sprinkle of Basil
4 medium sized sweet potatoes
HOW TO COOK:
1. Peel and chop both the carrots and sweet potatoes in similar sized chunks. Bring to boil for 20 minutes until fork can be inserted with ease through the veg.
2. Whilst the carrots and sweet potatoes are cooking, heat 2tbsp oil in a wok / large frying pan.
3. Cook the garlic, red onion and choice of chopped vegetables (i did peppers and mushrooms) for 5/10 min until soft and with a golden edge.
4. Add the turkey mince and stir until cooked.
5. Add the 2 cans of chopped tomatoes, can of lentils, big squeeze of tomato puree and basil to the pan and simmer for 20 minutes.
6. Pre heat the oven to 180deg.
7. Drain the sweet potatoes and carrots before placing them back in the pan and mashing them / pureeing them with a hand blender. Season with pepper.
8. In a large baking dish, empty the pan contents and top with the sweet potato and carrot mash.
9. Place baking dish in center of the oven for 30 minutes. (At 15 minutes, remove and crumble feta over the top of the mash).
10. SERVE AND ENJOY!
If you’d like to see the recipe in pictures…