Rightly so, Sydney is one hell of a place.
The only problem you’ll find when getting to Sydney is squeezing all of the best things to do in Sydney, into the time you have there. From Sydney’s best walks, Sydneys best coffee and brunch spots and Sydney’s Northern beaches all the way to the diverse range of day trips from Sydney – it’s safe to say you won’t be bored in Sydney.
Sydney is a huge city with activities for every kind of traveller. From sipping cocktails on the top floor of city bars, kicking back for a surf lesson on Bondi Beach and hiking in the Blue Mountains to enjoying dinner at the Opera House with views over the Sydney Harbour Bridge… The best things to do in Sydney will easily fill up a 3-day Sydney Itinerary and a 4-day Sydney itinerary.
Honestly? Planning is key if you’ve got a big Sydney bucket list. For many, Australia is a once in a lifetime trip and in order to not miss any of your favourites, you’ll want to plan it well.
Other posts that may help you plan your trip to Australia:
25 things to do in Sydney, Australia
Okay so, where to start…
There is SO much to Sydney, and even with a week there, we felt we had only just begun uncovering it.
From the Botanical gardens, Darling Harbour, and it’s stunning beaches to the CBD (central business district), Hyde Park and the Opera house… Sydney caters for every type of traveller.
Get your bucket lists at the ready, here’s a little taste of what your adventure in Sydney could look like and a few things to do whilst in Sydney to help you along the way!
1. Catch sunrise or sunset from Mrs. Macquarie’s Point
Walk past the Opera House and continue along the waterfront until you reach this point, where you will get a view like no other of the sun over the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge.
2. Wander round Darling Harbour and have dinner by the water.
3. Climb Sydney Harbour Bridge.
For more information, click here.
4. Have sunset dinner & drinks at the Opera bar.
Located just beside the Opera House itself with incredible views over the landmark, grab your favourite cocktail or glass of bubbles and toast to the incredible adventure you are on! Check out their website here.
5. Take a selfie with the Opera House & Sydney Harbour Bridge.
7. Explore The Blue Mountains (Greater Sydney Region)
Click here to see my post about my self-guided experience – the cheapest way of doing it.
8. Head over to Toronga Zoo, ‘The Zoo With A View’.
Head down to Circular Quay and hop on a 12 minute ferry to Taronga where you can view over 4,000 animals including Kangaroos & Koalas! Tickets start at $42.30 for an adult day pass, and can be purchased on the website here.
9. Meander through The Rocks.
Wander around one of the oldest parts of Sydney, located just beside Sydney Harbour Bridge. Look around the boutique shops, stroll through the markets and pick up souvenirs, grab lunch in one of the gorgeous cafes, or grab a smoothie on the go.
Paddy’s market is also great!
10. Explore Manly
My favourite place in Sydney! See my complete guide to Manly here.
11. Hop on a ferry from Sydney Harbour to somewhere new.
Watson’s Bay, Double Bay, Cockatoo Island… the world is your oyster!
12. Discover Sydney’s beautiful botanical gardens.
13. Have breakfast in Wooloomooloo and take the ocean-side walk to the Opera House.
14. Immerse yourself in Sydney’s nightlife.
– World Bar (King’s Cross)
– The Ivy (Thursdays student night, free entry but expect queues)
– Chinese Laundry
– Sunday nights at Sash (House music)
– Drinks at The Glenmore Hotel
– St. George’s open air cinema with views over the opera house
15. Visit HOME Thai Restaurant, Sussex Street
(Beef Massaman curry is to DIE for)
16. Eat your way through China Town and pick up some custard puffs from Emperor’s puffs…
Don’t knock em till you’ve tried em.. 30cents each. You’ll also find deep fried timtams and oreos here!. See their website for the dessert shop and the restaurant here.
17. Kick back and relax on Bondi Beach.
18. Indulge in Sydney’s finest ice-cream.
20. Hire a car and take a trip down to Hyams Beach.
See more and my full adventure here.
21. Explore Surry Hills
See my complete guide here.
22. Go on a Hunter Valley Wine Tour
See my full experience here.
23. Enjoy brunch in the city centre.
Sitting amongst my top 3 favourite things about Australia has to be the brunch culture and just how well the ozzies do it. Check out my top brunch spots in Sydney here.
24. Swim at Bondi’s Iceburgs Pool.
One of Sydney’s most instagrammable locations, this ocean pool makes a great day out! It’s $8 casual entry – giving you access to the pool, the sauna and the changing rooms. Click here for more info.
25. Walk over the Harbour Bridge and spend the afternoon at Luna Park
See my 6 walks in Sydney you must go on here.
Have you been to Sydney?
What were your favourite things to do? I’d love to know!
Love as always + happy adventuring,
Did you find this post helpful? I’d love you to share it for me.
I can’t do this without you.
Pin and save this blog post for later…