What you’ll need for the cupcakes:
- 100g plain flour
- 20g cocoa powder
- 140g caster sugar
- 1½tsp baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 40g butter (at room temperature)
- 120ml whole milk
- 1 egg
- ¼tsp vanilla extract
- Cupcake cases
What you’ll need for the frosting & decorations:
- 300g icing sugar, sifted
- 100g butter (at room temperature)
- 40g cocoa powder, sifted
- 40ml whole milk
- Malteaster mini bunnies, mini creme eggs, Milkybar mini eggs or decorations of your choice.
Method for the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 170°C
- Put the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in an electric mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk) and beat on slow speed until you get a sandy consistency and everything is combined.
- Whisk the milk, egg and vanilla extract together in a jug, then slowly pour about half into the flour mixture, beat to combine and turn the mixer up to high speed to get rid of any lumps.
- Turn the mixer down to a slower speed and slowly pour in the remaining milk mixture (scrape any unmixed ingredients from the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula). Continue mixing for a couple more minutes until the mixture is smooth. Do not overmix.
- Divide the mixture between the cup cake cases filling to about ⅔ full and cook for 20-25 minutes. They should spring back when touched.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Method for the frosting and decoration:
- Beat the icing sugar, butter and cocoa powder together in an electric mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk) on medium-slow speed until the mixture comes together and is well mixed.
- Turn the mixer down to slow speed. Add the milk to the butter mixture a couple of tablespoons at a time.
- Once all the milk has been incorporated, turn the mixer up to high speed.
- Continue beating until the frosting is light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. The longer the frosting is beaten, the fluffier and lighter it becomes.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, pipe the frosting onto them and top with bunnies and mini eggs!
Recipe from Hummingbird Bakery.