A 1-day roadtrip from Byron Bay: Minyon Falls, Lake Ainsworth and Lennox Head
If you fall in love with Byron Bay (like most people do) then you’ll sure find yourself staying a lot longer than intended. If the beaches, bars, live music and lighthouse walks don’t occupy your time completely and you do indeed find that you have some time on your hands – consider heading out on a roadtrip.
- See my ‘Ultimate guide to Byron Bay’ here
- See my ‘Complete guide to budgeting for backpacking Australia’ here
There is so much to experience inland and on the coastline near Byron Bay. Like a lot. So you won’t regret popping some time aside for an adventure out of the bubble. Think mountains, lakes and waterfalls galore.
Last year whilst in the bay, I did another 1-day road trip to take on a sunrise hike up Mt. Warning before additionally visiting Lake Ainsworth, Nimbin and Lennox head (plus some waterfalls that I can’t recommend because they aren’t legal and I don’t want you to hurt yourself). You can see this road trip itinerary in my blog post here.
Earlier this year I was lucky enough to return to Byron Bay and I fancied another one. You know road trips are my favourite.
So at the beginning of February 2018 (lol sorry for the delay) I hosted a taster Where’s Mollie Global Travellers adventure in Byron Bay, in the form of a road trip. It has forever been a dream of mine to host my own trips and itineraries out here so I saw this as a stepping stone, a ‘would people come’ test.
For WMGT Adventure #3 in Byron Bay, I teamed up with my main man Sammy at Ratpack Travel. We hired two Happy Coaches and together we sold 40 tickets. We bought all the inflatables, all the BBQ grub, all the beers and took the WMGT fam to some of our favourite spots in the area.
Watch the aftermovie here…
Once again, the WMGT family love blew me away.
It’s seriously overwhelming meeting you guys and being surrounded by such a lovely bunch of people at WMGT events. Byron Bay was no different to Snowdonia or the Lake District. I love you all so much!!!
I’m currently working hard on a WMGT Australia takeover in January 2019 so if you’re planning to be out there… KEEP YOUR JAN 2019 DIARY CLEAR.
Where did we explore on the WMGT roadtrip?
- 10.30am – Set off from Byron Bay town centre and drive to Killen Falls
- 11.30am – Walk down to Killen Falls and jump in the waterfalls!
- 1pm – Depart Killen Falls and drive to Lake Ainsworth
- 2pm – BBQ, rounders and lake side chills at Lake Ainsworth
- 4pm – Drive to Lennox Head lookout for photos and an epic view
- 4.30pm – Head back along the coast to Byron Bay, pick up some beers and head to Belongil Beach
- 6.30pm – Grab some dinner, drink beers and play volleyball (remember to bring a volleyball!)
- 8pm – Optional ocean sunset swim and dance session 😉
WMGT Byron Bay gallery…
Photo credits to our insanely talented WMGT photography Lydia Collins
Have you done an epic road trip in Australia?
Where did you go? I’d love to know! ?
Thank YOU guys for reading <3
If you enjoyed this post, please SHARE it for me!
I can’t do this without you <3
Australia posts on my blog that may help you plan your next adventure:
- Planning a day trip from Sydney to the Blue Mountains
- A complete guide to budgeting for backpacking Australia
- 10 places you cannot miss on the east coast of Australia
- The ultimate guide to Byron Bay, Australia
- How to spend 3 days in Sydney, Australia
- My favourite health cafes in Australia
- Whitehaven Beach, The Whitsundays
- A guide to Noosa, Sunshine Coast
- A beginners guide to hostels, your questions answered…
- 10 reasons I prefer hostels to hotels…
Ever wondered what cameras I use on my travels? What websites I use to book my adventures? What essentials I always take with me?
Oh and you can SIGN UP FOR MY EXCLUSIVE MAILING LIST HERE.