Just a couple of days before Christmas 2017, I headed back out to the French slopes with one of my girlfriends Chessie, to get a dreamy top up of mountain air and fresh snow. Both of which we successfully got in abundance during our 3 days in La Plagne.
We visited the neighbouring resort to Les Arcs in what was considered ‘the calm before the storm’ (just before peak season) and stayed at the brand new Araucaria Hotel and Spa which I’d highly recommend due to it’s location right on the slopes. Araucaria Hotel is perfect to use as a base or alternatively will cater in house for all of your needs. There’s a restaurant buffet serving breakfast lunch and dinner, a basement car park and ski shop (you don’t even have to leave the hotel to get your skis) and there’s even a hotel spa for a apres ski massage!
Chessie and I opted for a laid back weekend in the mountains on this occasion, which went a little something like this…
Breakfast, skiing, lunch, skiing, spa, dinner, bed.
Oh and we also squeezed in a snowy paraglide over the mountains which was quite possible one of the most beautiful experiences I’ve ever had. See the company we booked with here (it cost €100 for a 15 minute flight).
Of course, like any other ski resort, there are numerous restaurants, bars and venues to drink the night away in but should you look for something a little more restorative, I can confirm Hotel Araucaria offers that too.
Top tip: Head to Le 360 restaurant for lunch with panoramic views over the mountains – check it out here.
Our visit to La Plagne made up my fourth ever time skiing and though I am still no pro, it’s so satisfying to see the improvement in my confidence and ability with each return to the slopes.
What did I pack?
Just before I departed for La Plagne, I topped up my skiwear collection up with my favourite finds on Dare 2B. I have linked all the pieces I got below for you to shop should you be in need of some new skiwear!
Top tip: Size up!!! I would usually wear a size 8 in active wear but I couldn’t fit in the 8 and had to wear a 10!
On the slopes…
- Thermals (leggings and long sleeve tops)
- Ski jacket
- Ski socks (legit thermal socks, not primary basics hahaha! You will want cushioning in your ski boots and warmth too! There’s nothing worse than uncomfortable boots and blisters.)
- Ski gloves
- Ski goggles
- Sports bras / crop tops for comfort on the slopes (my essential for ultimate comfort on the slopes)
- Thermal hat (extra warmth under your helmet, bobbles will get in the way so either a beanie without one or one that’s removable)
Off the slopes…
- Snowboots / shoes with grip
- Active wear
- PJs and slippers (snuggle time after bath time!)
- Lighter jacket
- Fluffy socks
… plus all your usual undies and sock combos!
- Hydrating moisturiser
- High factor SPF for face (nothing worse than burnt google marks)
- Lip balm
…plus all your usual wash kit (and make up girls)
- Portable charger and charging cable (to keep your phone and GoPro alive at all times!)
- Speaker (if you’re like me and like skiing to alllllll the tunes)
- Backpack for the slopes (snacks, cameras, water, speaker, extra layers)
- GoPro with mouth mount, karma grip, chest mount, wrist mount, selfie stick.
- Sunglasses (when you’re ready for a lunch stop and tuck into some Raclette and hot wine you will want your sunnies!)
- Travel adaptor (rookie error if you forget one of these!)
Bags packed, Chessie and I headed to Gatwick Airport and flew direct to Geneva before catching a 2 hour transfer to the resort….
We switched adventure mode on, tucked our phones in our jackets to savour some memories in the mountains and our dreamy few days looked a little something like this…
Other posts you may like if you’re thinking of planning a European adventure:
- My weekend guide to Brighton
- 3 cities in 3 days – Bruges, Brussels and Ghent
- An epic 4-day Cornwall road-trip
- Living the Val D’isere ski dream
- The Yacht Week uncovered
- A guide to planning your Dalmatian Coast road-trip, Croatia
- 10 ways to save money for travel
- 10 reasons I love hostels over hotels
- A guide to the Yorkshire Three Peaks challenge
Need to book accommodation? Here’s £30 off your first AirBnb booking – my budget travel godsend!
Have you been skiing in the Alps?
Where did you go? Would you recommend it?
Thank YOU guys for reading <3
If you enjoyed this post, please SHARE it for me!
I can’t do this without you <3
Pin this for later…