Two days ago I finally got myself out to The Hunter Valley to explore not only a selection of the finest vineyards, but a chocolate factory, brewery, cheese shop and wildlife park too! Here at the wildlife park we got the chance to get up close with Australia’s natives – the koala and kangaroo.
I did all of the latter as part of a 1 day tour with Kangarrific Tours which started and returned to Sydney on a little mini bus (see below).
The drive up to the famous wine region works out around 2 hours on a clear day, so to allow for that, pick ups are nice and early between 7-7.45am (depending on which of the 4 Sydney pick ups you opt for).
We collected the troops and by 8am we were en route north via the Sydney Harbour bridge (a treat in itself). Our group was made up of 10 and was a completely even mix of a family, a couple, a solo traveller and my friend Lydia and I.
The atmosphere throughout the day was super chilled definitely a tour to kick back and relax on. Suitable for backpackers but certainly not a ‘backpacker tour’.
Sam (driver / tour leader) most certainly added to the atmosphere with a few cheesy (but GREAT) tunes to introduce each of the stop offs.
For example… some absolutely random ‘crackers and cheese’ song was our clue for the cheese tasting, UB40 ‘Red red wine‘ for one of the vineyards and when approaching the foot of the hills… of course The Sound of Music.
We opted to stay up the coast and explore more of the northern regions as opposed to retuning to Sydney but should you need it, the return is included in the ticket price.
Ticket price is $155
P.s. You can get $25 off the ticket price with ‘MOLLIE25’ – I don’t earn anything. Just a treat from me to you!
- Transfer to and from Sydney
- Cool box in mini bus to store any purchased chocolate, wine or cheese
- All the tunes
- Bottled water in the cool box
- 2 wine tasting sessions at Blueberry Hills and Mount View Estate
- Tea and timtams plus animal encounters at Walkabout Wildlife Park
- Cheese tasting at ‘Smelly Cheese’
- Beer tasting at Potter’s Brewery
- Chocolate tasting
- At lunch you stop off at Roche Estate in the middle of a gorgeous vineyard where there are 4/5 restaurants to choose from. You will pre-order your selection en route in the bus from Sydney and upon arrival it will be ready. Lunch cost is not included in the tour. I got a Vegetarian Pad Thai from Oishii which cost $20. See the menu here.
- Beers if you want them at Potters Brewery (though you get a Kangarrific 2-for-1 discount.
Have you been to the Hunter Valley?
What did you think? Do you have any tips? I’d love to know! 🙂
Thank YOU guys for reading <3
If you enjoyed this post, please SHARE it for me!
I can’t do this without you <3
Australia posts on my blog that may help you plan your next adventure:
- Planning a day trip from Sydney to the Blue Mountains
- A complete guide to budgeting for backpacking Australia
- 10 places you cannot miss on the east coast of Australia
- The ultimate guide to Byron Bay, Australia
- How to spend 3 days in Sydney, Australia
- My favourite health cafes in Australia
- Whitehaven Beach, The Whitsundays
- A guide to Noosa, Sunshine Coast
- A beginners guide to hostels, your questions answered…
- 10 reasons I prefer hostels to hotels…
Ever wondered what cameras I use on my travels? What websites I use to book my adventures? What essentials I always take with me?
Oh and you can SIGN UP FOR MY EXCLUSIVE MAILING LIST HERE.